What should I do if I am contacted by the IRS?

What should I do if I am contacted by the IRS?
First of all, please note that the IRS sends notices by mail, they will not contact you initially by phone or email. If you receive a phone or email inquiry, do not give the person any information as they are likely not with the IRS.

If you receive a letter or notice from the IRS consider the following:
It is never a good idea to disregard and IRS letter or notice. The issue in question needs resolution and will not go away if you ignore it. In fact, you may be subject to more severe penalties if you do not respond in a timely manner.

So first determine the nature of the inquiry. Then find the stated deadline for a response and determine if you will need additional time to respond. It is often possible to get additional time to respond to a notice, and you might even be able to resolve the issue by simply calling the telephone number provided on the notice.

It is a good rule of thumb to contact your tax professional for advice whenever you have dealings with the IRS. Mitz & Rozansky clients should call (414)352-3200 and speak to a member of our staff. We will assist you in compiling the necessary tax related information information and then guide you in properly responding to the IRS. If legal advice is required, we can even refer you to a qualified legal counsel specializing in dealing with the IRS on tax matters.